For me there’s nothing better than French onion soup to cheer me up, especially on a cold day! And anyone who knows me knows that I hate winter and would rather live at the other end of the world (Indonesia, anyone?) where it’s always warm. But then I would miss my amazing boyfriend and family so I’d probably still be eating French onion soup to cheer me up….in 30 degree temperature! haha
If you’ve never made French onion soup before then what are you waiting to try it? It’s really easy to make and quite comforting! Here is my recipe:
- 3 onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) of butter
- 1 cup of white wine
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) of beef broth
- 1 3/4 cup (375 ml) water
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme (tie with twine)
- 1 tbsp of fresh parsley
- 1 tsp (5 ml) of salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 slices of thick bread
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) of mozzarella or swiss cheese
- Melt the butter in a large pot and add the onions. Cook on high heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the beef broth, water, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the herbs and discard. Fill 4 onion-soup bowls with soup and add a slice of toasted brea on each.
- Add the cheese on top of the bread and brown for a few minutes in the oven on broil. Add a bit of fresh parsley over the cheese as a decoration before serving.